1. Power to the People: It is with the consent and will of the people from which governments derive their authority and leaders are empowered. People-led organizations and institutions rooted in the principles of democracy and justice are the source from which powerful movements for social/political/economic change arise. Solutions are found from the experiences and struggles of the people on the frontlines of the severe crises facing our nation. The power to change our country and create a society where human need is paramount to property and profit rests with the people.
2. Anti-Oppression Supporting Equality and Diversity: Marginalized peoples and oppressed communities are our essential and immediate allies in the work ahead. Women and people of color must be substantial in numbers -- within the membership and particularly in leadership -- of our independent socio-political network. Opposition and dismantling of racism, sexism, and other systems of oppression must be a priority for all people. It is especially important for white people working in their communities to understand, confront and help others to understand their privilege and reject the culture of white supremacy. Men, particularly cisgender and heterosexual, have a special responsibility to understand, confront, and help others to understand the nature of patriarchy and heteronormativity to cultivate safe spaces for open expression of gender and sexual orientation in order to provide a positive environment for participation and empowerment by those of all abilities, sizes and ages.
3. Equal Rights for All Human Beings: We support self-determination and treaty rights for the indigenous First Nations within the borders of the United States and for all peoples colonized by European powers. We believe enfranchisement, reparations, and affirmative action for women, people of color, and other victims of historic injustice and oppression sanctioned by the rule of law are necessary and essential to correct the disproportionate allocation of resources. We oppose the scapegoating and repression directed against immigrants, particularly immigrants of color. We are opposed to all forms of discrimination based on gender, race, color, ethnicity, age, class, religious beliefs or non-belief, sexual orientation and gender identity, disabilities, health status (including HIV), national origin or citizenship. We support full reproductive freedom for women and oppose all forms of violence, particularly against women and children, including domestic violence, rape, incest and sexual harassment.
4. Equal Justice for All: We oppose the deep-seated racism, sexism and classism that permeate our criminal justice system. We call for a reformative program to re-structure and re-train law enforcement agencies and personnel currently steeped in a culture of racism, sexism, corruption and brutality. We support the development of a humane, restorative justice system focused genuinely towards rehabilitation of those who have engaged in anti-social activity, that punishes based on behavior rather than race/gender/gender identity/class, and which depends on alternatives to incarceration except for those who pose a clear and imminent danger to society unless incarcerated. We oppose the racist and class-biased death penalty as cruel and unusual punishment. Drug addiction and mental illness should be treated as issues of public health, not criminal justice. We oppose the use of forced prison labor for private profit. We support the development of a legal system whose participants--judges, lawyers, court personnel, police, penal staff, jurors--reflect the class, race and gender composition of the affected community and individuals.
5. Coalition and Movement Building Rooted in Solidarity Organizing: Only through the talents, experience and wisdom of all persons is mutual governance and a system rooted in justice possible. A powerful movement for change will emerge when everyday people aligned with grassroots activists, leaders and organizations operating from community, workplace and school power bases comes together in a unified, national, and massive independent political movement, or an alliance of political parties. Accepting leadership from and supporting the causes of those on the front lines of struggle against the impacts of systemic oppression and corporate tyranny helps us to develop relationships with our essential and immediate allies.Read more